Modifying the Child Support Order

Under what circumstances can I request a review to modify my child support order?

Parents can petition the court for a review and modification of their child support order at any time they feel there is a substantial change in circumstance that may affect the amount of the child support order. Additionally, every three years, the DRS will send each parent a notice asking if they want their support case reviewed. The DRS must review TANF support cases every three years. The review is to make any appropriate increase, decrease, modification or termination of the order taking into account the best interest of the child. The following factors related to the child support order are considered:

  • The income of either parent significantly increases or decreases.
  • The child now has significant or continuing medical expenses.
  • Child care and/or medical insurance changes.
  • The parents are now living together.
  • The child receiving support is 18 years of age and graduated from high school.
  • The child starts living with the noncustodial parent or someone other than the custodial parent.
  • The noncustodial parent is incarcerated.
  • Other substantial changes in circumstance occur.

How do I request a support order modification?

Contact your local DRS to obtain a Petition for Modification. You may also log into the child support website at as a payee or payor and submit a Petition for Modification through E-Services. You will be notified by your local DRS of your conference date, time and place. They will also provide you with a list of items to bring to the conference.